a blog chronicling my days of unemployment and all the crafty things i'll do during it

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Jewelery Display Board

I never used to wear jewelery. I bought it. I received it as gifts. I liked it. I just never WORE it. I'd usually forget that I owned most of it. I'd misplace it. I'd stuff it in a drawer or box. It was out of sight - out of mind. Really! I needed some way to display all my favourite pieces for daily wardrobe accessorizing.

One of my favourite spots to find funky jewelery in Halifax is the Black Market. While shopping for some new wooden earrings a couple years ago, I noticed that a lot of their jewelery was pinned up on boards on the wall. It was a pretty effective way to show their entire jewelery stash.

So, when I was still a student, I salvaged an old water-damaged bulletin board from a garbage pile, and brought it home with intentions of remaking it into a pretty jewelery display. It sat around for a while first. I tried hanging up just the board, but it was a pretty big eyesore on it's own (lots of water damage). So I wrapped the whole thing in blue fabric (frame and hooks and all) - an improvement, but not perfect.

This week, I finally decided to do it right. I took the frame off the board, with a slot-head screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers. This involved removing a few long-skinny staples that were holding it all together. I covered it in some blue jersey fabric (scrap from a dress I made once), and staple-gunned it all into place.

I replaced the frame, using some finishing nails and wood-glue to keep it tightly together. I carefully placed t-pins into the board, measuring spaces between them for earrings, rings, bracelets and necklaces (since I had a lot to fit on there). The t-pins have a great shape for holding items on the board, as compared to regular straight-pins.

And now it hangs in my closet, right above my dresser - so I am reminded to accessorize when I get dressed in the mornings.

One small corner is conveniently reserved for broaches and pins. The majority is taken up by earrings and necklaces. But there's a small selection of bracelets and rings too.

Conveniently, it also encourages me to put my accessories away at the end of the day, so I don't misplace them.

2 comments:

  1. yes! i love my jewelery "frame" and really must hang it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I'm also bad with accessorizing, so maybe something like this would also work for me :)

    ReplyDelete